Thursday 7 May 2020

Eleanor and Frazer's latest projects



My name is Eleanor and I am one of the apprentices at Pioneer Sailing Trust. It is coming up to the year mark for my time with Pioneer. Looking back over the past year I have learnt so much! Before Pioneer I had next to zero woodworking sills. My previous boat building experience lay in fibreglass so it was an exciting change to be faced with the challenges of new materials and techniques.



I have thoroughly enjoyed being a part of such an incredible team. It is a shame that the lockdown has prevented us from continuing our work. However recently, to keep my skills in check, I have become the proud owner of two decrepit dinghies one of which I am looking to refurbish! Hopefully this will make my time away from Pioneer productive.












Hi my name is Frazer and I've been working as an apprentice at the Pioneer Sailing Trust for just over three years now. Before the pandemic I had been working alongside other apprentices in the construction of a new 24ft rowing gig.
We used iroko for the fit out and 2 pack varnish to finish


Our first finished gig named "Varuna"
Our new gig ready for her wooden fit out













Due to the pandemic and for the safety of the workers Pioneer had asked us to stay at home. This was unfortunate news for me as I really do enjoy the head scratch that is boat building! However there was nothing I could do about it so I began to think of how I can spend my time.  Luckily enough for me I have a small shed in which I pursue my hobby of blacksmithing.
The first week of my isolation I spent my  time tidying my shed up and finishing my long time goal of getting my fly press fit and ready for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment