Thursday 23 April 2020

Tom's boat projects so far ...


 Since there is no-one working at Harker’s Yard at the moment due to Covid-19, we will be taking a look at what’s going on in the farm yard where I live, in Great Bromley.



Skibladner.


Skibladner, is a 14-foot clinker dinghy built in 1889 in Norway as a lifeboat for a fishing trawler. I got given her by the previous owner after he ran out time and money to keep looking after her. When I got her she was in quite a sorry state and in the winter of 2013 at the age of 12, me and my dad made quite extensive repairs to her including: A new transom, new sheer planking, a new stem and quite a few frames. Since then she has come back to our farm every winter where we have done some more work to her such as replacing her keel, replacing more planking and more frames.
At the moment while in isolation I have been replacing yet more planks. I have replaced one full length plank and three short sections. I am hoping to get her sailing as soon as I can, once we allowed. It is especially exciting this year as I have had a brand new suit of sails had for her by Steve Hall in Tollesbury.





































14-Foot Barges boat



This is a 14 clinker dinghy built by Cyril White in Brightlingsea around the 1960’s. She belongs to a friend of mine who asked me to repair everything that needed it. Since putting her into my workshop I have replaced her stem, forefoot, stern post, part of her transom and last week replaced her port side garboard. The plan is to replace at least another two planks, a new riser and new thwarts.




Lilian

Lilian is a 30-foot Thames sailing Bawley built in 1869. I brought her for £1 in 2015 when I was 14 years old. Since then I have removed her deck and deck beams, made and fitted some frames, floors and stantions. Recently I have cut out a beam shelf ready to steam into place and bought enough wood for all the full width deck beams.


The plan is to replace all of her deck structure and deck planking, all of her floor timbers, most of her frames and a complete new rig. I am planning to make all of her rigging myself including all of her wooden blocks.














Deva



Deva is a 23-foot Mawcome bay prawner build by Crossfied of Arnside in 1912. I brought her in May 2019 and took her home. Since then I have replaced her arch board, horn timber and started replacing some of her planking. Recently I have removed her stem and forefoot due to it being very Iron sick which happens when the iron fastenings react with the oak. While in isolation I have been making a new stem and forefoot ready to install into the boat soon. She will need a few more new planks and quite a few deck repairs before going sailing again.
















No comments:

Post a Comment